Tuesday 27 April 2021

And thanks go to...

In what is a final final post on my blog dedicated to UK-based shortwave free radio stations of the 1990s, it is only fair that I thank those who have given encouragement, honest appraisals, and nuggets of information which have filled in the gaps of my memory, and helped bulk out posts with data that hitherto I was unaware of.

Firstly, Paul at the thorough Shortwave DX Blog and Pirate Memories Blog for his emails and inclusion of my efforts within the list of blogs which he follows, therefore broadening the admittedly limited reach of what is a niche within a niche, within a niche. 

The emails of Kai Salvesen have in particular been a source of great interest and help, the content of which often mirroring my own experiences and emotions precipitated by the 1990s free radio scene.

After many years had passed since I was a member of the British DX Club I was pleased to make contact with Tom Read, someone I remember as a free radio expert during the 1990s and a frequent communicator with many of the scene's operators.

Still going strong and one of the last bastions of quality talk-based free radio on shortwave, Matt Roberts of the Xenon Transmitting Company(XTC) has on occasions helped steer the blog away from conjecture and assumptions into the calmer waters of factually correct information, whilst reading my words both from the perspective of a current broadcaster and one who did so as XTC and initially Radio Mutiny 'back in the day'.

I have also enjoyed stepping back in time by exchanging emails with the legendary Jack Russel of Weekend Music Radio and Trevor Brook, operator of Radio Fax - a station that existed on a rich diet of speech-based programming and took the fight for official recognition to the very top. It was also good to hear from Dave Norris formerly of Radio Blackbeard and Galaxy International, who can periodically be heard on Buzz FM and the Melton Mowbray-based community station The Eye 103 - as can Paul Stuart, once upon a time of Galaxy International and the enigmatic Station Sierra Sierra.

Thank you also to Mike Barraclough for giving readers of the Free Radio Forum the heads up about my blog.

My apologies to those I have inadvertently overlooked, and thanks to all who have read my at times rambling and discursive words. I would like to think there was more mileage in the blog, but sadly that is not the case. It was always going to be a difficult task to wring more and more out of what was a finite subject stymied by drawing on memories, a lack of hard copy material, and a relative dearth of online research material.

If though anything substantive and unique comes to light(or memory), I will be more than happy to revisit the subject. As ever, your comments, memories, and corrections are most welcome, and will be replied to expeditiously. 

We may meet again, who knows, but for now it really is goodbye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listening without Prejudice

Whilst this blog predominantly focuses on my memories of free radio from the 1990s, I would never have come to know of the existence of '...